You are here: Home > Singapore
All posts from How To Convert A Foreign Driving Licence : Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

Name of the Organization : Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
Type of Facility : How To Convert A Foreign Driving Licence
Country : Singapore
Website :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

Signapore How To Convert A Foreign Driving Licence

Driving in Singapore. If you hold a driving licence that was issued outside of Singapore, you should check whether you need to convert your foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence before you begin driving in Singapore.

Related / Similar Facility :

If you are a Singapore citizen or PR :

** If you are a Singapore citizen or permanent resident (PR), you can drive in Singapore only after you obtain a Singapore driving licence.
** You must convert your foreign driving licence to Singapore driving licence as soon as possible if you want to drive in Singapore.
** New Singapore citizens and PRs must convert their foreign driving licences within 3 months of obtaining citizenship or PR status

If you are a foreigner

** If you are staying in Singapore for a short period, i.e. you hold a short-term social visit pass, you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore.

** You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required.

** Drivers from ASEAN member countries only need to possess a valid driving licence issued by their licensing authority in order to drive in Singapore without an IDP.
** To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence.

How To Apply For Conversion

Step 1: Pass the basic theory test
** To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must pass the BTT test. Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.

To book a BTT test, create an account with any of the three driving centres and book in person or online :
Bukit Batok Driving Centre
815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085
T: 1800 666 8888

ComfortDelGro Driving Centre
205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805
T: 6841 8900, 6848 0617

Singapore Safety Driving Centre
2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387
T: 6482 6060

Apply for conversion   :

You must apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Test Centre counter located in the driving centres (stated above) in person. Please bring these items, where applicable:

Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit;
Original and a photocopy of a valid foreign driving licence;

One recent matte passport-sized colour photograph of you with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted;
Processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)

If your foreign driving licence is not in English, you must have International driving permit or An official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies. Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.

If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of driving licence record from the Licensing Authority;
Foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass etc.

You must show documentary that you have studied or worked in a foreign country for 1 year or more, e.g. education transcripts or tax returns documents. You must also have stayed in that foreign country for a total period of at least 6 months within a period of 12 months .

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2018

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map