You are here: Home > Japan
All posts from Applying For A Social Security Number : US Embassy & Consulates in Japan

Organization : U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Japan
Service Name : Applying for a Social Security number
Country : Japan
Website :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

U.S. Embassy Applying For A Social Security Number

Applying For A Social Security Card is free. To apply for your new born baby’s Social Security number after you have received his/her first passport and birth documentation, we will need you and your child’s passports and the child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad – originals only; we cannot accept photocopies.

Related :
Embassy & Consulates in Japan Applying for a U.S. Passport

Fill the Application form and mail to U.S. Embassy Tokyo, Federal Benefits Unit, Consular Section, 1-10-5 Akasaka Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420 Japan. Include one self-addressed Japan Post “LetterPack” envelope

Application Form

Enter the following details to fill the application form and mail to the above address
1. Enter Name [Last Name/Middle Name] [Hurtu reo saro]
2. Enter Full name at the birth [Harut reo saro]
3. Enter Other Name in issued. [Riku]
4. Enter Place of birth [Tokyo]
5. Enter Date of Birth [MM/DD/YYYY]
6. Enter Citizenship [U.S]

7. Select Ethnicity
8. Select Race
9. Select Sex
10. Enter Mother’s Name
11. Enter Mother SSA Number
12. Enter Father’s Name
13. Enter Father’s SSA Number

14. Select if you received ssa card before []yes/no]
15. Enter most recent ssa card name
16. Enter different date of birth
17. Enter Today’s Date
18. Enter Time
19. Mailing Address
20. Select Your signature

Replacement Social Security Card

** American Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents can apply for replacement Social Security cards through Embassy Tokyo.
** Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit, Embassy Tokyo.
** You will need to bring your current valid passport or permanent resident card, along with the SS-5 application form

Please note :
** Replacement Social Security cards are issued overseas to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents only.
** If you are not a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and you are currently residing in Japan, you will not be entitled to a replacement card even if you misplace it.

Amending Your Social Security Card

** Amendments such as name changes can be filed at Embassy Tokyo.
** If there is a name change, you will need to bring current valid photo identification as well as evidence of the name change

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2018

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map